* On the way out of the door for yet another vacation, Obama the anti-war man and Nobel Peace Prize winner ordered the American military to attack the government of a sovereign nation in the midst of a civil war. Despite having the largest and most powerful military in the world, and being the leader of the free world, a "senior administration official" said (link): “how it turns out is not on our shoulders.” Jonah Goldberg (link): "It is bizarre beyond mortal ken the way Obama is trying to pretend that we are not leading this effort and that we are not responsible for how it ends. First of all, we run NATO, so handing this off to NATO is like GE handing off a project to a European subsidiary and then claiming it’s not their project." Reports are that Obama and his senior advisers have been huddling for days trying to figure out how to blame all of this on George Bush.
* Although the American military has been attacking Libyan government forces and installations to protect the "rebels," apparently our military is not "officially" communicating with those it's acting to protect. The New York Times reports (link): "American military officials have said there are no “official communications” with the rebels.... Contact with the rebels would reflect a direct American military intervention in the civil war of another country." So according to the Obama team, attacking militarily one side in a civil war is not "direct military intervention in the civil war." Remember when Democrats thought Obama was the smart and truthful one?
* Obama has lost his own vice-president, Joe Biden, who one in reference to Obama's race said admiringly that Obama was "clean and articulate." Biden said (link): “I want to make it clear, and I make it clear to the President, that if he takes this nation to war without Congressional approval, I will make it my business to impeach him. That’s a fact. That is a fact.” Well Obama has done just that. Now Biden said that when GW Bush was president, but what's the diff? Biden is a man of principle and I'm sure he's working to impeach Obama right this very minute.
* To fool Joe Biden, Obama and his team are not calling hostile military action against a foreign government a "war". It's a "kinetic military action" (link) or a "scope-limited action." George Orwell, call your office.
* President Barack Obama speaking to American military men and women at the Jacksonville, Florida, Naval Air Station in October 2009 (link): "I promise you this -- I will never rush the solemn decision of sending you into harm's way. I won't risk your lives unless it is absolutely necessary." So there we have it -- despite all appearances, our military intervention, excuse me, "kinetic action", in this Libyan civil war was not rushed and is "absolutely necessary."
* Where are the raging anti-war demonstrations throughout America? Surely those protesters were anti-war and not just anti-Bush? Surely they marched out of deeply-felt principle and not just anti-Bush fad and fashion? Where have they all gone? Gone to flowers everyone.
* Now Obama has outsourced the military command of American troops to the Canadians. Mark Steyn, though, thinks he can do better (link): "...as much as I like the idea of Canadian military commanders randomly invading Muslim nations, I feel the gig should have gone to a Mexican general. After all, the Administration pretty much insisted this is a job Americans won’t do."
John M Greco